1938 Texaco Service Station in Skovshoved Harbour
This is the winner of a Diploma
This Texaco petrol station is situated in Skovshoved harbour, along the beautiful coast road north of Copenhagen. It was built by Arne Jacobsen, the representative of International Modernism in Nordic countries, in 1938. It combines clean functionalistic lines of the white tiled building with an expressive circular concrete canopy supported by a single central column. At night-time the roof appears as an enormous glowing lamp thanks to the up-turned lights which welcome visitors.
The restoration project involved much research on colour and fabric. New white glazed façade tiles have been produced and the concrete construction remade. The area has been de-polluted thanks to an environmental clean-up, including soil replacement and ground water filtration. The complex programme of works has successfully revived a design icon of the International Modern Movement to its former elegant and dynamic expression.
“For the careful restoration of one of Arne Jacobsen showpieces to an attractive landmark for thousands of motorists every day.”