Cadogan Hall in London
This is the winner of a Diploma
Refurbishment of a redundant “Indo-Saracenic” style church building (1904-1908) and conversion into a multi-purpose arts and music venue to provide a base for the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
Stage and back-stage facilities were introduced into the liturgical east end of the church, while seating for an audience of 900 was introduced in the nave. Sensitive adaptation of the original fabric of the building to modern necessities for acoustics, ventilation and security. The 1905 stained glass windows, characterised by Celtic knot motifs, were painstakingly restored. Cadogan Hall is a highly significant addition to London’s music scene. It provides state-of-the-art facilities for performances and broadcasting and exhibitions. All the more remarkable, that the project was financed entirely by the owners without any public subsidy.
“For the refurbishment and conversion, with considerable skill and minimal intervention, of the First Church of Christ Scientist into a flexible arts venue and as the permanent home of a major London orchestra.”