Civic Hall in Eslöv
This is the winner of a Diploma
Remarkable example of a Scandinavian civic hall designed in 1948 by Hans Asplund, which was listed as a national monument in 2001. The interior was carefully renovated during 2002-2003. The accessibility was improved by a lift to the scene in Hall A, better signs and light. Furniture design by Hans Asplund was repaired and improved by security connections, while panels of smoked oak and Oregon pine were cleaned and treated by oil. All painted surfaces were renewed in emulsion paint in the accent-colour program of the 1957. Low energy heating, new electricity, sewage, ventilation and services have been introduced into the building.
The complex comprises a four-story volume comprising office facilities and a curved conical volume for the meeting halls, unified by a low one-story volume with an oval atrium in the centre. The diversity of functions – as a venue for meetings, cultural events and performances, exhibitions, offices, and a restaurant – is inherent to the character of the building.
“For the complete restoration and renovation of a remarkable example of Scandinavian Modernism for the common use and benefit of the citizens of Eslöv.”