FAI Property in Ieranto Bay
This is the winner of a Diploma.
Restoration of 47 hectare derelict landscape into a natural shrine which will become an outstanding land and marine protected area. Until 1945 the area had been used to quarry limestone for the kilns at Bagnoli, providing important elements of industrial archaeology.
The area also includes traditional rural architecture, evidence of a coastal defence system, and ruins of a Roman villa. All decisions concerning the restoration were made in total respect of the important value of the historical, architectural and rural elements characterising the landscape. The project tackled material and historical conservation of buildings using traditional construction techniques, aiming to protect the integrity of this complex landscape.
“For the exceptional transformation of a derelict landscape in a panoramic setting, into a natural shrine respecting ancient agricultural and archaeological structures”