Liubavas Manor Watermill Museum
“This example vernacular architecture, in use until 1975, survived a difficult period of neglect. The restoration is very modest inside and outside. It is done with love and care. With it comes a book embedding the mill in a thorough way into its historical and landscape context. The jury is very pleased with the fact that the mill is being cared for now in a way that allows it to be a little anchor point for retelling and revaluating the interesting history of the area.”
Liubavas watermill is one of the few buildings remaining from the former Liubavas Manor. The overall aim of the project was to preserve the watermill and to make it accessible to the public through its adaptation to a museum.
The watermill, a construction of cleaved stone, was built in 1902. It stands out by its architecture, its engineering and aesthetic value. The building had not been in use for many years and was under risk of total ruin. Hence, it required urgent and complex efforts of conservation and restoration. The building itself, the technological equipment and specific landscape characteristics have been thoroughly restored to retain the authentic values of the watermill.
Traditional techniques and building materials, typical to the period of construction of the building, were used. A thorough research enabled to achieve maximum level of authenticity. Moreover, it provided with material for an exhibition, which has been designed and installed in the final phase of the project.