Tour & Taxis in Brussels
The Tour & Taxis Site in Brussels is a large complex of buildings that was used from 1907 to 1987 for customs clearance and storage of commercial goods. The main building, the Entrepôt Royal, and the adjoining warehouses have been exceptionally restored. Traces of train tracks and platforms, the concrete structure, and the interior street with its glass roof and balcony railings have all been safeguarded to show the original functioning of the buildings.
New functions, such as office space for over 1000 workers, a commercial gallery and extensive multi-purpose areas, have been inserted. The high quality of the conservation work, substantial and modest at the same time, honours the complex’s industrial past, retaining the characteristic façades combining yellow brickwork with natural stone and shed roofs. It is highly appreciated that the Tour & Taxis Site was understood to be of great importance not just for its economic potential, but for its cultural and historic values as well.
“To the conservation and redevelopment of the Tour & Taxis Site in Brussels, Belgium, a large complex of buildings that was used from 1907 to 1987 for customs clearing and storage of commercial goods.”